Moving Out of State With a Child Custody Agreement

How To Prove Spouse's Income From Self-Employment For Child Support Calculations

by Layla Bryant

One of the main ways judges determine child support amounts is by comparing each parent's income. The non-custodial parent is required to pay the custodial parent the amount the judge states. But what if you are the custodial parent and do not agree with the calculations the judge makes? What if your spouse is self-employed and is hiding income from you? If you suspect this, here are several things you can do that may help you get a higher amount of child support each week.

Talk to your lawyer

To determine an accurate amount for child support, the judge really must know how much money each parent makes, but it can be easy for a person to hide income, especially if he or she is self-employed. If you are in this situation and are certain that your spouse makes more money than the amount he or she listed on the forms, you should talk to your lawyer about it. Your lawyer will know how to handle this event and may have ways to help you get more money for the child support you need to raise your kids.  

Subpoena financial records

One of the tools your lawyer can use is called a subpoena. Your lawyer can ask the court to subpoena your spouse's financial records, which means that your spouse must turn in all the documents the court requests. This may include tax returns, business records, bank statements, and receipts. By closely examining these documents, your lawyer might be able to prove that he or she makes more money than what was listed on the forms.

Use other reasons to ask for higher child support

Another tool your lawyer might suggest is asking the court for more child support for a different reason. For example, if one of your children has special needs, you could use this as a reason to ask for more child support. Another example would be if your spouse's lifestyle proves that he or she has the extra money available and that paying more would not hurt him or her at all. If there is any type of other reason you could use, your lawyer will help you find it and present it to the judge in court.

Hiring a good lawyer who is experienced in child support cases is also a good idea. If you need a child support lawyer, contact a firm in your area to learn more.